CHAMBER MUSIC COMPETITION RULES AND PRIZES
The Chesapeake Chamber Music Competition is open to acoustic instrumental ensembles. Voice as an acoustic instrument is not allowed or accepted. The ensemble must consist of 3 to 5 members. Members must be engaged in study and/or performance and must be pursuing a career in music. On November 30, 2017 the average of the ages of all members of the ensemble shall be less than 30 years, 12 months, and 31 days. The ensemble may not have more than one piano.
This year we are doing our applications online! In partnership with the leading arts application platform in the world, applicants will experience a streamlined submission process where you will be able to provide your demographic information, upload your recordings, and pay the $40 application fee in one place. You’ll even receive technical support with the submission process, should you need it.
The applications will be evaluated to select the ensembles that will be invited to participate in a performance competition held before an audience in Easton, Maryland starting at 1 PM on Saturday, April 7, 2018. Each selected ensemble shall be prepared at the competition to perform a complete program of its choice, provided that the program contains three works of contrasting style and character. The competition program must be no longer than 45 minutes. While it is anticipated that four or five ensembles will be invited to participate, the number of invitations shall be solely at the discretion of Chesapeake Music.
Prizes will be announced at the conclusion of the performances.
The Gold Medalist will be awarded the sum of $10,000 and the Silver Medalist the sum of $5,000. Additional cash prizes may also be offered. The Gold Medalist will also receive a concert appearance at the Chesapeake Chamber Music Festival in June, 2018. Other concert appearances (with additional stipends) may also be awarded.
Prizes may be distributed, divided, or withheld at the discretion of Chesapeake Music. All prizes are conditioned upon full compliance by the ensemble and each of its members with the rules and requirements of the Competition.
Cash awards will be distributed no later than June 20, 2018.
Acceptance of the invitation to participate in the performance competition on April 7, 2018 shall constitute agreement by the ensemble and each of its members to the terms below:
- The ensemble shall participate in the competition on April 7, 2018.
- The ensemble shall be available on Sunday, April 8, 2018 to offer one complete concert performance of approximately 60 minutes duration and render such performance, if requested.
- If selected to perform at the Chesapeake Chamber Music Festival, the ensemble shall:
- offer such performance in June, 2018
- be available in June, 2018 to offer additional performances at other concert series, if requested
- In addition, the ensemble shall submit, within 10 days of the invitation to participate in the performance competition, a digital photograph and a brief biography of the ensemble and its members.
- Chesapeake Music may, without condition or limitation, freely use such materials and any online audition recording submitted with the application and may record any performances at the Chesapeake Chamber Music Festival or during the weekend of the Competition and shall have full rights of ownership in and use of such recorded performances.
- Chesapeake Music may publish on its website a link to the ensemble’s official website.
Chesapeake Music will, upon request, make arrangements for the housing of participants during the weekend of the performance competition.